4.05.2008

Clean & Green

Well, well... it would seem that being on Facebook has already assisted in my chronic blog neglect. I feel compelled to keep things as coherent as possible -- and Facebook, although beneficial for up-to-date info -- does not lend itself well to deeper contemplation. Hence, the blog. 
So... today marked the first of four community clean-up events in Reno during the month of April: Clean & Green. Other than getting my nose sunburnt (which isn't half bad since it is a sign that summer is near), I was reminded of much Truth.
Romans 8 tells us that creation was subjected to futility, but not willingly, and eagerly awaits the revealing of the sons of God; and today, during Clean & Green, some friends and I found a culvert that was absolutely screaming for redemption. We picked up more than 6 HUGE bags of garbage and made a pretty significant dent. However, there was so much more garbage to meet the eye than that of the physical. This culvert seemed to be subjected to the histories, futilities and idolatries of so many hurting people. Most of the garbage we picked up told of men and women who were held captive by substances, addictions, hopelessness... it was difficult to uncover so much garbage only to find more, and more, and more. 
If anything, today served as a reminder to get on with the job. There is so much -- too much -- that holds me back from being an agent of redemption in the world. It's all selfish. Creation's eagerly awaiting, the Holy Spirit's groaning, and Jesus is interceding for this miracle of redemption -- a work into which even angels long to look. How often am I aligned with these things?
I'm glad that this work will be finished one day. I'm glad that death will no longer reign in these mortal bodies and in the blink of an eye we will all be changed. The culvert and I are pretty happy about that. 

1 comment:

reasonablewoman said...

Ooooh. I finally found you on the blogosphere! You've been tagged. And added to my link. I'm keepin' an eye on you...