2.12.2011

5%

I'm currently reading a book called Leading On Empty by Wayne Cordeiro... and it's good. It serves as a very practical and helpful tool in preventing burnout and helping you recover from burnout if you're already feeling its pangs. Cordeiro communicates as if he's an old mentor who understands, whose axioms are simple enough to absorb, accessible enough to transcend many contexts and deep enough to keep you wondering, "how do I make this manifest in my own life?" I recommend this book to all, but especially to those who are figuring out what it looks like to endure and truly run after Christ for a lifetime. We're talking about the marathon. We're not talking about intermittent, short sprints when it's comfortable or seems appropriate to get off the sidelines. We're talking tortoise, not hare.

One of the exercises in the book is about setting your priorities in life. No, it's not earth-shattering. But the more sure you are of your priorities, the less likely you are to flounder in crisis moments, the less likely you are to waffle under the pressure of decisions. You already know -- deep within -- what's important. So you act in accordance with what has already been established rather than scrambling to get a coherent stance together when your mind and heart look more like scrambled eggs than... unscrambled eggs.

Cordeiro wisely helps us unscramble ourselves by putting the things that make up our lives into three helpful categories:

  • 85% of our lives are made up of tasks to do that anyone could do -- like answering emails, going to meetings, getting groceries and the like.
  • 10% of our lives are comprised of things that we could potentially delegate to others given that we are training them properly. 
  • Next is what we've been building up to: the final 5%. These are the things that only we can be responsible for. They cannot be delegated. These are the things that God has asked us to do.
There are some things to note here. The things in these categories change with life stage and circumstance, but the principle remains the same. Also, these percentages are not hard and fast and they're not necessarily inspired. We cannot replace the Holy Spirit's work in our lives with pragmatism. However, this is a helpful way to at least get us intentionally thinking about our priorities rather than just assuming we know what they are and we are living like they are.

Coming up with my 5% was not as difficult as I thought, but I know it's a work in progress. For now, these are what I know are my priorities:
  1. Reckoning and believing God the Father to be my Father, Jesus to be my Savior and my Treasure, and the Holy Spirit to be my best Helper and walking by this faith -- more and more as I live. 
  2. In all humility, as a beggar showing other beggars where they can find bread, leading others to Jesus, the Bread of Life. 
  3. Being a friend to my family and family to my friends. (I should explain this one. Over the years, my close friends have become my family -- a fact that I am thankful for and love, and I do believe that they are my family. However, I also have a hard time pouring the same amount of love, blood, sweat and tears into some my actual family because of brokenness. So what I mean by this statement is that I want to give both my "physical" family and "friend" family the same level of priority.)
  4. Devoting my life to cultivating authentic sisterhood at Living Stones: women redeemed by Jesus, healed by Jesus, believing more and more in Jesus, loving one another and leading one another to Jesus. 
  5. Taking care of my body and soul; exercise, a balanced diet, intentionally resting/recharging and pursuing solitude before I seek destructive isolation and run from relationship and responsibility.
  6. As much as I can, relieving the pastors of Living Stones of their 95% in order that they might be freed to pursue their 5%. Not because it's my job, but because I'm working unto the Lord.
After mapping out this 5%, I already feel more grounded, focused. I'm also aware of the fact that it could change at any moment... literally. "The heart of a man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps..." Proverbs 16:9

1 comment:

J-me said...

Super timely and insightful. Thank you for sharing!