12.16.2005

Great Expectations

Tonight is Friday night, which means I went to Living Stones, a college and career type group that meets at a church across town ... WAY across town (because right now I live at the base of Mt. Rose). This community of believers has been a great encouragement to me. In preparation for Christmas, we have been looking at the Jesus' first coming from a Jewish perspective (visions of Arnold Fruchtenbaum dance through my head). I was struck very heavily by the concept of waiting. The majority of history has been devoted to waiting ... Since the Messiah was first promised at the fall of man, we have been waiting for redemption. And now that He IS come, we, together with creation, "eagerly await the revealing of the sons of God" (Rom. 8) and the redemption of our bodies, Christ's reign established, the end of sin. I find that I, as the Israelites did in waiting for Christ, concoct countless expectations of "things" in my own life. How they will arrive, what form they may take, dreams of how euphoric they will be ... Dangerous. I'm realizing still that expectations are not merely about outcome of events, but expecting who the Lord will show Himself to be in those circumstances. If you're looking for the Lord, you will find Him, regardless. Simeon (Luke 2) saw Him when he was only 1 and 1/2 months old. No halo. No "hallelujah" chorus. A child, helpless and dependent, such the lamb ... Yet the Lion of Judah. Simeon knew this, could recognize the Lord in the situation because his waiting was contingent not on the outcome or outward appearance of the events, but the promise of God: "Now Lord, you are releasing your bond-servant to depart in peace, according to Your word; For my eyes have seen Your salvation, which You have prepared in the presence of all the peoples, a light of revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of Your people Israel." (Luke 2:29-32). This is very personal to me. I have great expectations a lot of the time. But the Lord is faithful even now to strip me of false hopes and draw me into dependence upon my Living Hope. "Indeed, while following the way of Your judgments, O Lord, We have waited for You eagerly; Your name, even Your memory, is the desire of our souls." - Isaiah 26:8

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kristine Brown, I'm not sure if you remember but in our first year, you gave the devotion at our small group at youth retreat (I did the bad job at doing the music) and I thoguht you had a really good thought to share... I don't remember it now, but I remember it made me think. You were always good at encouraging us in Christ. Thank You!

Kristine Brown said...

I do remember ... and the music wasn't bad, besides, it was first thing in the morning. Thanks for your encouragement, Big.