12.06.2005

Reno At Night

I have to be honest when I say that I often question why I'm here. Maybe it's the night talking ... but sometimes I do wonder. I wonder where I fit in this pool of lights. I wonder at the excess of it all. But the reminders come subtly. I am consoled when I remember that God is here and He has a plan. He sees my frame, strategically places me in the height of my frailty in order to instill the dependence I need and crave. "And you know the way where I am going." - John 14:4. Thomas, who is known to many as the doubter of the disciples (although I venture to say that it's not exclusive to Thomas), asks, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?". To which Jesus replies, "I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." Thomas, asking the question as though Jesus' departure was a geographical matter, is reminded by Jesus that it's not about what is seen, but rather what is unseen. In walking with the Lord, I often wonder if I know the way ... but I do. And it has nothing to do with where I am. I need to get my compass pointing in the right direction and head straight for Home ... not a location, but a person. It just so happens that Reno is part of the journey Home. But until then, in the nights that I wonder "why", I have a promise: "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. After a little while the world will no longer see Me, but you will see Me; because I live, you will live also." - John 14:18-19. It will be okay.

No comments: